image
naqiah aziz's blog
image image image image
Friday, February 6, 2009

I really can't see myself in a few years' time. What sort of work will I be involved in? It's just that when I go to the lectures, I feel like I really can't see myself doing the things that i am learning. Certainly I am not capable of being involved in construction work. What else is there? I was looking at the form given last Monday on the Constructionarium (more about it nanti) and there was a question on what area in Civil Engineering I might consider. Not the construction part. Local authority? Design? Other sectors?

I dread the Constructionarium. It's actually a big project where we will be involved with real engineers to build a model of a real construction work this May. I can imagine myself wearing one of those oversized engineer suits and doing all those construction work with those big people. BIG human beings :'(

I can't even carry some of the equipment we used when we had the surveying lab classes, what am I gonna do in that Constructionarium?

Brewery Wharf Footbridge 

 

The Brewery Wharf footbridge was built in 1992 by Ove Arup and partners. It is a good example of 

how showcase project can help rejuvenate an area and attract more people. It was originally 

built to connect ‘The Calls’ of Leeds city centre to a new visitors centre for the Tetley’s Brewery. 

Since then the area has had further change attracting both residential and commercial 

developments. 


Basic Structure 

 

• The structure is a cable stayed suspension bridge spanning a clear distance of 10m. 

• The deck is a reinforced concrete slab pre-cast in 2 sections supported at 2.5m intervals, 1.5m 

wide. 

• The supports are tension cables attached back to a 4m high slanting concrete tower at one 

end of the bridge. 

• Further cables from this tower then reach back into the bank attaching to an anchoring 

foundation. 

• The pad foundation for the tower is then braced back to the anchoring foundation via a 

ground beam  

 

Site layout at the start of the week 

 

• Your site is level with a 0.75m deep channel running through the middle. 

• You will be provided with a crane to lift the concrete deck sections into position and attach 

the cables. 


I would like to learn how to operate a crane though :)

This Constructionarium will probably give me an idea on the possible areas that I might be interested in. But it's going to be a dreadful week :(

1:01:00 PM